Standing by his people: Mohammad Assaf cancels Abu Dhabi concert over Gaza conflict
Much to the disappointment of his fans, the singer posted a statement confirming the news on his Facebook page saying, "Due to the current political crisis in Gaza, I deeply regret that I will be unable to perform at the Arab Stars Showcase at the Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi on Thursday August 14.
“I look forward to performing for my fans in Abu Dhabi in the near future.”
But the UN Goodwill Ambassador isn't only cancelling tomorrow's concert; in the Arabic version of his statement, Assaf stated that he's cancelling all his activities over the Gaza conflict.
Mohammad's concert was to feature as part of The Arab Stars Showcase at Emirates Palace, alongside fellow Gazan and speed painter Mohammed Al Dairi, and Saudi Arabian illusionist Ahmed El Bayed.
In lieu of Assaf pulling out, Emirates Palace issued a statement confirming the show itself has been now postponed to a later date, reports Emirates 24/7.
In a statement, they stated: “Emirates Palace regrets the cancellation of Mohammed Assaf from the Arab Stars Showcase. We are postponing the Arab Stars Showcase that was scheduled for August 14.
“More information will be shared at a later stage. Meanwhile, for ticket enquires people can contact 800 86 823.”
The star is also scheduled to perform in the UAE capital on November 20, alongside Arab music stars Tamer Hosny, Carole Samaha and Emirati singer Fayez Al Saeed at the du Arena, Yas Island on Thursday as part of the first night of the 6th annual Yasalam After-Race Concert weekend for the 2014 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix that runs from November 21-23 at Yas Marina Circuit.
- Let's get the ball rolling! Mohammad Assaf to kick off the F1 Grand Prix after-race concerts in Abu Dhabi
- Yes we can! Mohammad Assaf wants Palestinian refugees to believe 'anything is possible'
- Good ol’ Assaf is at it again! Taking his UN Goodwill Ambassador job seriously
- The secret sighting of Assaf: Arab Idol superstar on hush-hush trip to Gaza
- London calling: Big Ben ticking as the countdown begins for Mohammad Assaf's November concert