Party in the USA: Mohammed Assaf on nationwide US tour
Palestinian vocalist Mohammed Assaf, winner of the 2013 Arab Idol singing competition, is on a nationwide tour across the United States.
The 23-year-old singer on Sunday rocked the Lisner Auditorium at the George Washington University, as part of an event to celebrate the Arab culture in America organized by the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC).
Fans flocked to have their photograph taken with Assaf. Others jumped on stage to greet the Palestinian star.
“From the first day, I knew that Arabs and the Palestinian community in Chili, United States, have largely supported me by their votes during the contest. When I meet the people, I feel that they’ve known me for a longtime,” Assaf told Al Arabiya News Channel.
One Palestinian fan residing in the United States told Al Arabiya that Assaf reminds them of their homeland.
“We, Palestinians in America, need those who remind us of our homeland. Assaf, made us happy, and taught us that those who have hope can reach what they want,” she said.
Described as a Palestinian hero by his fans, the 23-year-old Gazan brought together divided Palestinians in celebrations throughout the Palestinian territories when he won the contest last June.
- Palestine cheers hoorah! Mohammad Assaf wins Arab Idol 2
- I get a kick out of you! Assaf to meet Barca football team on “Tour of Peace”
- Moving house! Mohammad Assaf looking to relocate to Dubai
- Welcome home, honey! Mohammad Assaf makes triumphal return to Gaza
- Mohammad Assaf concert brings rays of sunshine to Bahrain's Summer Festival