Paul Walker is UAE's No. 1 person trending on Google this year
The late Fast and Furious actor Paul Walker topped the list of the trending people in the UAE, according to Google’s yearly list of the top searched sites and names released on Tuesday. Walker starred in one of the year’s biggest hits before dying in a fiery car crash on November 30. 23-year-old Palestinian singer Mohammad Assaf, came second in the list, after winning Arab Idol in August by getting a massive number of votes from not only the Arab region but also the Arabs in the diaspora. Assaf came ahead of American actress Jennifer Lawrence, who won an Oscar in February, and Canadian pop musician Justin Bieber, who performed in the UAE in May. Egyptian TV host Bassem Youssef came fifth.
The second half of Google’s UAE most trending people list include late South African president Nelson Mandela, Indian film star Priyanka Chopra, Pope Francis, Emirati footballer Ali Mabkout and late Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez.
By Jumana Al Tamimi, Associate Editor
- The late Fast & Furious star, who never made it to UAE-shoot, leaves estate to daughter
- With Fast & Furious 7 filming now in Abu Dhabi, Paul Walker's brothers are announced to fill in small gaps
- Only family, close friends, and Fast & Furious co-stars will attend the invite-only Paul Walker funeral
- Filming in Abu Dhabi of "Fast & Furious 7" was awkard for Vin Diesel without co-star Paul Walker
- CGI, body doubles to maintain Paul Walker's "Fast & Furious 7" presence next month in UAE