Amman claps along with Pharrell Williams in the "Happy" Hashemite Kingdom
"Pharrell Williams - Happy (WE ARE FROM AMMAN)" was posted to youtube on February 22, 2014. (Image snapshot from the music video)
Jordanians have taken to the streets to film their own version of Pharrell Williams's "Happy" music video. Residents of the city of Amman can be seen on youtube clapping along to the catchy lyrics, proving that no bad news is gonna bring them down.
A local DJ cameos the music video shot in various parts of the city set on the hills. The scenes display happy Jordanians dancing, skipping, and shaking their groove thing all around town.
Amman isn't the first city in the Middle East to join the global trend of posting cover videos for the song released on Nov. 21, 2013. Tunisia recently showed that they're still happy, despite the turmoil facing the country since the 2011 revolution. The Tunis video posted to youtube has received nearly 200,000 views.
Casablanca likewise chimed in with their version, featuring Fez hats and all.
"Happy" is a part of the "Despicable Me 2" soundtrack and has been nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song. The winner of this award will be announced at the 86th Academy Awards ceremony on March 2. Pharrell is ready to say thanks if he wins the award by releasing a new album the very next day titled "Girl".
By Cherry Martinez
What city would you be most surprised to see clap along to the joyful tune? Please share in the comment box below.
- Hind Sabri is one "Happy" girl on the streets of Egypt: cameos on Pharrell Williams cover for free
- Egypt 'Happy' videos among highest-watched in MENA region on YouTube
- Gaza joins in on the "Happy" craze with a video of their own!
- The star who made the Middle East "Happy" is now preparing for the Oscars
- Pharrell defends Iranian youths arrested for posting own version of the "Happy" video