Sama's off the hook!
Sama was facing a six month prison sentence over the alleged insult. (Facebook)
The Dokki Court of Appeals acquitted belly dancer Sama al-Masry of insulting the chairman of the Zamalek Club Wednesday.
Her lawyer presented the court with a copy of her apology that was published in newspapers.
The Dokki Misdemeanor Court had sentenced Al-Masry to six months in prison, fined her LE10,000 and ordered a bail of LE1,000 for her release pending appeal, for insulting the chairman of the club on the Feloul satellite TV channel she owns.
The plaintiff said in his lawsuit against her that she called him a madman, a drunkard and a pimp, adding that the channel has no broadcasting license and that it shows videos with indecent sexual implications.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm
- Adel Imam versus Islamist Egypt: Off the hook
- Egyptian belly dancer Sama al-Masry sentenced to jail for insulting Mansour
- No longer off the hook: Radical cleric Abu Hamza extradited
- No free lunch? Jordan-owned Dubai cafe lets you off the hook if you do dishes
- Muslim world cup performance this Ramadan: Algerian players let off the hook for the big Germany game