Souad Massi scheduled to sweep into Morocco's Mawazine festival next May
Souad Massi, who participates in the festival for the second time after 2011, will try to captivate the audience with her soft voice on June 5th at the Mohammed V theatre, which will include a “prestigious and surprising programme” featuring international celebrities, said the Morocco Cultures Association in a communiqué.
“Compared to Tracy Chapman or Joan Baez, the young woman is a unique artist, a reference to the folk repertoire whose oriental influences have resulted in a unique music, a mix of chaabi, rock and Arab-Andalusian melodies,” added the statement.
Souad massi, whose lyrics, written in Arabic or French, deals with a wide range of topics, including Algeria, love and hope, will be accompanied at mawazine Festival by Gipsy Kings soloist Eric Fernandez, in a show entitled “Cordoba’s Choirs.”
- Epic wardrobe fail! British singer Jessie J's Mawazine outfit too scandalous for Morocco
- This is the last face you'll see at Morocco's Mawazine Festival this year
- Take that, Tel Aviv! Here's why Souad Massi won't sing for you
- Nancy puts the audience in tears at Mawazine
- Rahim's Rabat-bound! Shabola added to Mawazine Festival lineup