The Script get set to jazz up Dubai this February
The Script will be performing in the UAE this February (Photo: Zarina Fernandes / Gulf News)
Click here to add Adele as an alert
Disable alert for Adele,
Click here to add Anthony Younes as an alert
Disable alert for Anthony Younes,
Click here to add Chillout Productions as an alert
Disable alert for Chillout Productions,
Click here to add Dubai as an alert
Disable alert for Dubai,
Click here to add Elton John as an alert
Disable alert for Elton John,
Click here to add Emirates Airline as an alert
Disable alert for Emirates Airline,
Click here to add Emirates Airline and Skywards as an alert
Disable alert for Emirates Airline and Skywards,
Click here to add Glen Power as an alert
Disable alert for Glen Power,
Click here to add Liverpool as an alert
Disable alert for Liverpool,
Click here to add Mark Sheehan as an alert
Disable alert for Mark Sheehan,
Click here to add MasterCard as an alert
Disable alert for MasterCard,
Click here to add Paul McCartney as an alert
Disable alert for Paul McCartney,
Click here to add Red Cross as an alert
Disable alert for Red Cross,
Click here to add Skywards as an alert
Disable alert for Skywards,
Click here to add Twitter as an alert
Disable alert for Twitter,
Click here to add Will.I.am as an alert
Disable alert for Will.I.am,
Click here to add Yusra Farzan as an alert
Disable alert for Yusra Farzan
Hot off our announcement that Deep Purple, 3 Doors Down and OneRepublic will take to the stage at the Emirates Airline Dubai Jazz Festival in February – we bring you the fourth and final headliner: Irish band The Script.
This is the band’s second visit to Dubai with frontman Danny O’Donoghue, guitarist Mark Sheehan and drummer Glen Power.
“They are beautiful. We are very excited to bring The Script as they have been here before and did a great job,” said Anthony Younes, CEO of Chillout Productions, the organiser of the event. “The Script will play on the final day of the festival on February 22. Their concert will be bigger and better than their last especially after their collaboration with will.i.am on the song Hall of Fame.
January will see the announcement of the big Jazz acts playing at the Festival, he added.
Last year’s visit saw the Script arrive on the backs of a short yet successful music career.
Their self titled debut album went platinum in Australia, five times platinum in Ireland and two times platinum in the United Kingdom, while their second album Science & Faith entered the UK charts at number 1.
But the band said they knew they had made it when their music was featured in popular television shows 90210, The Hills, Vampire Diaries and EastEnders.
“For me own family they didn’t actually think we’d made it until our music was played in EastEnders,” Sheehan said in a previous interview with tabloid! during their last visit.
“Me Ma was the same,” piped up O’Donoghue. “We made it to No 1 and she was like ‘yeah, it’s a big deal’ but as soon as we’d been on 90210 she was like ‘Ahhhh’, he said throwing his hands in the air, squealing. “Everyone went crazy.”
“A girl came down and we just played and were filmed,” said Power recalling their stint on America’s The Hills. “I didn’t even know what The Hills was; I thought it was a location. A few months later we did a gig and the whole place went crazy… and we realised the power of television.”
That was then.
A year later, the band has released a new album #3 from which lead single ‘Hall of Fame’, a collaboration with will,i,am, gifted the trio their first UK number one. Will.i.am and O’Donoghue work together as judges on the Voice UK, along with Jessie J and Tom Jones.
“You could be the greatest you can be the best ... Standing in the hall of fame and the world’s gonna know your name,” the song goes.
We think The Script is on to something.
So, before their second visit to the UAE, here are the 10 things you should know about them:
1. During his formative years, Sheehan’s parents died within months of each other. The song ‘If you could see me now’ from their latest album #3 is a tribute to them – according to O’Donoghue Sheehan leaves the room every time the song is played in the studio.
2. Like any band, The Script have their share of female fans – with one sending them direct messages on micro blogging site Twitter every 3 hours, talking to them like she would to a friend.
3. During the economic recession, their home country Ireland was hit pretty bad, and The Script dropped ticket prices as a show of solidarity.
4. Before every gig, the band has Epsom salts to keep their muscles supple.
5. O’Donoghue is a big Manchester United fan. However, his football game was a Liverpool one, as his father knew one of the club directors at Anfield.
6. Sheehan grew up in a tough, working class neighbourhood of Ireland and admitted to stealing cars growing up.
7. The Script count Adele, Elton John and Paul McCartney as fans.
8. At one of their first concerts they played to 26 people (most of them family) in a 250 capacity venue.
9. The Script donated all proceeds including ticket sales, merchandise and the band’s fee from their Long Island concert to the Red Cross to aid Hurrican Sandy relief efforts in the city.
10. Six degrees of separation, a song on their album #3, is a chronicle of O’Donoghue’s break up with Lithuanian model Irma Mali after a 4 year relationship. O’Donoghue was rumoured to have dated Bo Bruce, when she was a contestant on The Voice. The alleged fling was blamed as the reason for his split with Mali.
Early Bird ticket specials are available exclusively for MasterCard holders, Emirates Airline and Skywards members. It includes discounts on tickets and meet-and-greet opportunities. Ticket sales for the general public will be announced soon. Go to chilloutproductions.com for more.
By Yusra Farzan
- The 20-year journey of Irish pop group Boyzone that brings them to Dubai Thursday night
- Shannen Doherty Gets DUI
- Early bird gets the boy band in Dubai! Pre-registered Take That tix on sale
- Sandy’s skimpy short shorts leads to harassment by fans
- Wael Jassar didn't know a member of his band had DIED until their concert was over!