Tunisian singer Ghali Benali returns to Cairo for El-Sawy Culturewheel
Benali last performed in Egypt in March of this year. (Cairo Scene)
Ghalia Benali is set to perform her rich, meditative, soothing harmonies at El-Sawy Culturewheel on 2 July, fitting appropriately with the month of Ramadan, in which music is a crowd-favourite in the evenings.
The Tunisian songstress is no stranger to Egypt, visiting with frequent performances in Alexandria and in Cairo, including last year's Hayy Festival at Geniena Theatre, several recent performances at The Music Tent, and many others.
“The Arab audience knows the words before they escape my lips, they enrich my singing," Benali told Ahram Online when she performed at the closing ceremony of the 6th Panorama of the European Film, back in 2013.
Ghalia onstage at the El Geneina Theatre in 2013. (Bora S Kamel 2013)
Benali, who was born in Belgium but grew up in the Tunisian town of Zarzis, is known for fusing musical influences and traditions from the east and west, mixing classical Arabic styles with jazz and Indian music.
Benali is not only a singer, composer and songwriter, but also a successful actress, starring in the film "La Saison des hommes." She is also a crafted graphic designer.
2 July, 9:30 pm
River Hall, El-Sawy Culturewheel, 26th of July street, Zamalek
- Get your game on, go play Egypt! Here's a list of how to have fun in Ramadan
- Tunisian singer Ghalia Benali returns to Cairo for another soulful performance
- Summer in Cairo looks set for some hot talent
- The absence of stars threatens Cairo’s Ramadan tents
- Ghalia Benali will mix things up in The Music Tent on March 6 with her fusion tunes