NYE just won't be the same: Five UAE concerts cancelled at eleventh hour
Record-breaking fireworks are still set to take over the Dubai sky on New Year's Eve, but several concerts have been cancelled. (Image: Facebook)
Click here to add Abu Dhabi as an alert
Disable alert for Abu Dhabi,
Click here to add Al Ain Rotana as an alert
Disable alert for Al Ain Rotana,
Click here to add Dubai as an alert
Disable alert for Dubai,
Click here to add George Tahhan as an alert
Disable alert for George Tahhan,
Click here to add Hisham el-Hajj as an alert
Disable alert for Hisham el-Hajj,
Click here to add Marketing as an alert
Disable alert for Marketing,
Click here to add Melhem Barakat as an alert
Disable alert for Melhem Barakat,
Click here to add Melhem Zain as an alert
Disable alert for Melhem Zain,
Click here to add Nassif Zaitoun as an alert
Disable alert for Nassif Zaitoun,
Click here to add Ramy Ayach as an alert
Disable alert for Ramy Ayach,
Click here to add Rima Baroodi as an alert
Disable alert for Rima Baroodi,
Click here to add Wafik Habib as an alert
Disable alert for Wafik Habib
Five major concerts in Abu Dhabi and Dubai meant to go ahead on New Year’s Eve were cancelled by organizer Red Line Media and Marketing, UAE-based The National reported Friday.
The event planning organization emailed the hotels hosting the performances last night at 2 a.m. saying they events would not go ahead.
The unelaborated announcement was sent to the InterContinental Hotel Abu Dhabi, the Crowne Plaza Yas Island, the Beach Rotana in Abu Dhabim the Al Ain Rotana and the InterContinental Hotel Dubai Festival City.
“This is a big loss for us, a main event on such a big night as New Year’s Eve,” said Rima Baroodi, director of public relations and communications at the InterContinental Hotel in Abu Dhabi.
“It not just a loss of revenue but it was also a social event. We had rented out our hall for the event to Red Line and were handling the food and beverages for the night, all the other organization was up to Red Line,” Baroodi said.
Tickets for the concerts ranged from 800AED ($218) to 2,500AED.
The intended performances by Arab musicians included Ramy Ayach, Shatha Hassoun, Wafik Habib, George Tahhan, Melhem Barakat, Hisham el-Hajj, Melhem Zain and Nassif Zaitoun.
A spokesperson for the Beach Rotana hotel also confirmed the cancellations.
“Both the Beach Rotana and Al Ain Rotana are making all efforts to contact Red Line executives for clarifications but so far have received no response,” said the spokesperson, adding they were disappointed because they had been expecting more than 400 people to attend.
The hotel is now reportedly planning to take legal action.
“We have spoken to the local authorities and our legal adviser and hope that this will save the situation for guests and for our hotels as well,” the Beach Rotana said.
- No NYE celeb concerts for AD partygoers? That's OK, hotels throw grand parties instead!
- Melhem Barakat may just perform for his family on NYE after UAE gig ditched
- Barak Summons Security Cabinet amidst more Violence in Lebanon, Palestine
- Ramy Ayach to take a break from parenthood for Dubai concert in April!
- Deep Purple but no blues: US legends top Dubai jazz festival line-up