Facebook storms UAE with record users among Old and Young
The UAE is the top Arab country in terms of facebook penetration, and among the top 10 nations in the world , according to research from the Dubai School of Government.
In the organisation’s inaugural Arab Social Media Report (ASMR) it said that around 45 per cent of the UAE’s population has an account with the social networking goliath. That amounts to a total of 2,135,960 facebook users.
Cynics might think that all those status updates, photo uploads and social banter would take its toll on economic productivity but this appears not to be the case.
“The top three Arab countries in terms of facebook penetration (UAE, Qatar and Bahrain)... all have high GDP per capita,” the report stated.
An ardent love of facebook is perhaps not surprising given the Arab World’s relatively young population.
But it is not just the young who are facebook fanatics. The report added: “The UAE is the only country where user penetration exceeds the percentage of youth in the country, indicating a more mature penetration of social networking in the country.” The total number of users in the Arab world is now 21.3 million.
- 'Muslim Facebook': An alternative to 'Blashpemous' Facebook, Scholars Say
- Arab World and Facebook's 10 year relationship status: Complicated
- Like this? Iran's Supreme Leader gets social on Facebook
- Egyptian Spouse Swap: Couple Arrested Over 'Swingers' Facebook Page
- Palestinian hacks Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook page