Syria: 120 industrial projects carried out last year
Syria's Investment Commission announced that 120 industrial projects were carried out in the country last year. The Commission added, in a recent report, that the number of transport projects reached 101 and agricultural projects to 40.
The Commission report claimed that the number of projects during the period from 1991 through 2009amounted to 3301 projects, of which the percentage of execution reached to 18.4.
There has been an increase in the projects during 2009 with a 9.4 percent, added the report classifying the projects as covering different sectors like engineering projects, industrial, industrial zones, food projects.
Earlier, Syria's Premier Mohamad Naji Otri reiterated the importance of boosting investment process up, encouraging the establishment of investment projects in Eastern and Steppe Regions, SANA news agency reported. Chairing the Higher Council of Investment, Engineer Otri called for the formulation of necessary formulas as to attract investors and develop infrastructure. In implementation for the developmental objectives for the Eastern and Steppe Regions, the Higher Council of Investment agreed to lower the minimum investment capital amount for investment projects from 30 million SYP (1 USD equivalent 46 SYP) to 10 million SYP.
- Inedible oil: time to face the realities of food insecurity in the GCC
- Mena jack of all trades with projects totaling $2.5 trillion underway
- Giving their economies a 'new look': GCC headed towards the plastic option
- Does manufacturing hold the key to ending high unemployment in Jordan?
- Spotlight on Saudi women clothing manufacturing initiative