Foreigners among those arrested in Iran
Iran said it arrested several foreigners during December 27 anti-government clashes tht left eight people killed, Iranian state TV reports. “Some of the detainees are foreign nationals pursuing propaganda and psychological warfare,” Intelligence Minister Heidar Moslehi told state TV.
“They had entered Iran only two days before Ashura. Their cameras and equipment have been seized.” Moslehi did not comment on the foreigners’ nationality.
Iranian police still detain 300 of the 500 people arrested in Tehran during demonstrations coinciding with the Shiite holiday of Ashura, a holiday when Shiite Muslims mark the death of Hossein, the grandson of the Prophet Mohammad. Protestors were demonstrating against alleged election irregularities that resulted in the June 12 reelection of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- Iran police: From now on ”zero tolerance” towards opposition supporters
- Report says Ahmadinejad stepped down and then changed his mind
- 150 Foreigners Held In Iran - Not al-Qaeda Members
- Two foreign diplomats arrested by Iranian police at “depraved” birthday party
- Mousavi says 70 university professors detained