Chab Mami released from prison in March
Algerian singer Chab Mami’s brother, Al Sayed Bu Razuf, has announced that his brother has informed him and his family that he will be released from prison in early March 2011. Chab Mami’s lawyer has filed an appeal and the courts are looking into it to make a final decision on the release date of the singer.
According to the internet website MBC.net, by being released in March, Chab Mami would have served half of his sentence. The singer’s good behavior has led to the change in his release date, which was originally a five year sentence. Chab Mami will remain on parole and report to his parole officer on regular basis.
Chab Mami was convicted in July 2009 to a five year sentence after being found guilty of physical violence against his French girlfriend. It was claimed that Chab Mami had forcefully beaten his girlfriend with the assistance of some friends in order to force her to have an abortion.
- Alissa secretly records duet with Chab Mami
- Chab Mamy convicted to five years for forcing his girlfriend into abortion
- Cheb Mami wins the Monaco Musical Award for best Arab singer
- Afghanistan's release of 65 "dangerous" prisoners draws fierce criticism from the U.S.
- Israel releases Islamic Jihad leader from prison