December 26, 2000
According to latest Lebanese statistics, average prices of consumer and food goods, based on a typical consumer basket, decreased 0.76 percent in September compared to the base date in December 1999.
The Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) reported that Lebanon achieved zero-growth rate for 2000 with a public debt of around $23 billion — one of the highest in the world relative
December 25, 2000
Activity on the Beirut Stock Exchange considerably improved last week, for the second consecutive week, and was propelled by demand for the stock of Bank of Beirut (BoB). The market ended the last ful
Societe Generale Libano-Europeene de Banque SAL (SGLEB), which already owns 67 percent of local brokerage firm Fidus SAL, increased its stake by acquiring the remaining 33 percent of the financial fir
The Cairo-based investment bank EFG-Hermes declared net profits of $12.12 million in the first 9 months of 2000, down 12 percent from the same period last year.
The Beirut Stock Exchange released figures on trading activity on the bourse during the first 11 months of 2000. Total volume reached 18.3 million shares, a 13.7 percent increase from the same period
December 24, 2000
Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri left Beirut Sunday for an official visit to the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia, during which he will hold
Lebanon signed a contract with French transportation firm SEMVAT and the French regional council of Midi Pyrenes to reform the country’s public transportation system and railway lines.
Societe Generale Libano Europeenne de Banque and Cellis introduced a new service, SOGECELL, aimed at enabling people to conduct secure banking transactions via cellular phones. Clients will be directl
Societe Generale Libano Europeenne de Banque (SGLEB) agreed to purchase from Nabil Aoun, head of Fidus’ board of directors, the remaining 33 percent of brokerage firm Fidus that it does not already ow
The last full trading week of 2000 witnessed volume on the Beirut bourse which shot-up 478 percent to over 1.2 million shares, but that did not reflect any sudden revitalization of the market nor any
The Lebanese pound appears to be ending the year on a bit of a high, as demand for the dollar continued to weaken despite the onset of the holiday season. In interbank trading, the local currency rang
Purchase TB subscriptions edged up slightly by 2.33 percent to LP451.94 billion ($299.79 million) at the December 14 auction, while maturing bills rose 22 percent to LP340.8 billion ($226.07 million),
Trading in Lebanese eurobonds was quiet as usual, particularly so at this time of year. Sovereigns witnessed some demand for the new December 04 bond, but supply was not forthcoming, with a similar st
December 22, 2000
More than a thousand Hizbollah supporters gathered Friday to watch a parade staged by fighters of the Shiite Muslim militia in southern Beirut, for th