Bangladesh attack close to home for many Arabs
The hostage situation in the Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka ended Saturday, but not before Daesh (ISIS) killed 20 hostages when Bangladeshi security forces stormed the restaurant the group was holding up, also killing 6 militants in the process. Gunmen reportedly entered the restaurant Friday evening. Many of the victims are believed to be foreigners.
For the Arab world-well aware of recent Daesh attacks in Lebanon and Turkey-the attack hit close to home. Many Arabs on Twitter commented on the attack and Bangladesh trended Saturday.
Some condemned Daesh for the brutal attack.
#Daesh’s_barbarism_has_no_bounds. Even during Ramadan.
Others expressed dismay that Daesh exists all the way in South Asia.
حتى بنغلاديش فيها دواعش !!؟ إنا لله وإنا اليه راجعون— نايف الجبري (@nayefaljabri) July 2, 2016
Daesh is even in Bangladesh?! We belong to God and shall return to him.
Finally, many mourned who they believe to be the victims of the attack.
إيطالية واحدة من ضحايا إعتداء التطرف الاسلامي في بنغلاديش علي الأجانب . https://t.co/VQQzFGDojb— abdulmajeed alshatti (@bosammy) July 2, 2016
Italian one of the victims in an Islamist attack in Bangladesh targeting foreigners.
Daesh is reportedly trying to build its presence in Bangladesh.
- Too close to home: Gaza-native Mohammad Assaf makes emotional plea for his city under attack
- Militant attacks in Bangladesh kill Christian man, counter-terrorism officer’s wife
- Hindus Mark Subdued Festival after Bangladesh Attacks
- Algerian legend Warda passes away
- Tigers Kill Six Workers in Bangladesh Sundarban Forest