Only Muslim member of US National Security Council resigns
Rumana Ahmed, a former White House employee, has made headlines for releasing her story on what it was like being the only veiled, Muslim White House staffer on the National Security Council. Though she tried to stick around after the departure of former President Obama and continue to serve her country, she ultimately left the Trump administration after only eight days. What was the final straw? The Muslim Ban. The MSNBC video below sheds more light on Ahmed's experience:
On Twitter, users shared poignant exerpts from Ahmed's story, as told by The Atlantic.
This White House staffer did not hesitate to praise Ahmed for speaking out about her experience:
Incredibly proud to have served in the White House w/ Rumana Ahmed. Inspired by the courage she shows as she tells her story. https://t.co/T7VHrmorZm— Josh Earnest (@joshearnest) February 23, 2017
Of course, there are also people who have spread ‘Fake News’ about Ahmed, to borrow the Trump term, making unfounded claims—presumably on the basis that she is Muslim:
Rumana Ahmed is deeply connected to the Muslim Brotherhood and has refused to speak out against Sharia. She is GONE! https://t.co/HGOfjaTaFk— Quinton Jackson (@alaskantexanQCT) February 23, 2017
It would be interesting to see what percentage of the Islamophobic social media users out there averse to fact-checking would believe this meme:
Despite some of the laughable shade thrown on Ms. Ahmed, she remains courageous and her story is a salient piece of insight into the Trump administration as it relates to Muslims.
- Saudi as world human rights watch? Now they accuse Myanmar of 'ethnic cleansing'
- 11 of 15 Security Council members support continuation of inspections as 8 European leaders uphold U.S. stance
- US Tells UN Security Council: No Observers in Occupied Territories
- UN Security Council members to discuss draft resolution Friday; Iraq considers it as declaration of war
- Iraq calls on UN members to reject Security Council authority