11, including two US soldiers, killed in Iraq
Gunmen raided government offices in central Iraq on Tuesday using two car bombs and suicide bombings that killed nine people. The attack took place in Diyala's provincial capital of Baquba. The attackers exchanged gunfire with Iraqi security forces and took hostages in the siege that lasted nearly three hours. A similar attack was carried out in Iraq some three months ago.
Iraqi police and soldiers were deployed to the scene, in addition to US military assistance, AFP reported. Dozens of people were wounded.
Meanwhile, the U.S. military said in a statement that two troops died while on duty in southern Iraq.
- Scores, including U.S. soldiers, killed in Iraq as two Italian women held hostage
- Three US soldiers, 11 Iraqis killed in attacks
- Iraq: 11, including 8 soldiers, killed in attack
- Two US troops killed as American soldiers shoot dead four Iraqis including two pro-Saddam demonstrators
- Iraqi women carry out suicide attack; Two US soldiers killed in airport battle