Atletico Madrid win La Liga title
Atletico Madrid have been crowned champions of La Liga following a dramatic draw in the final fixture against Barcelona at Camp Nou on Saturday.
Barcelona needed a win to claim the title, while a draw was enough for Atletico as Diego Simeone's side went into the game with a three-point lead over Gerardo Martino's men.
Atleti were hit with a double blow early on as first Diego Costa and then Arda Turan limped off with injuries, but the Rojiblancos continued to compete in an evenly disputed first half.
But almost out of nothing, Alexis Sanchez blasted Barca into the lead with a fierce angled drive after 33 minutes.
Atletico started the second half with a bang, however, and after David Villa had hit the post, Diego Godin headed home from a corner to make it 1-1 after 49 minutes.
Lionel Messi had the ball in the net later in the half, but the Argentine's strike was correctly ruled out for offside and Atletico held on to claim La Liga by a three-point margin - their first title since 1996.
- AC Milan v Atletico Madrid: UCL predicted lineups
- La Liga: Rayo Vallecano 0-0 Atletico Madrid
- Barcelona beat Atletico to win La Liga
- Martino: Messi's participation against Atletico still not decided
- Dressed in their footy kit, Yara tells her fans she's mad at the Barcelona Football team for losing the La Liga title to Atlético Madrid. (Image: Future TV Network)