Bahraini activist calls for dialogue between Bahraini government and opposition
Prominent Bahraini human rights activist Nabeel Rajab has called for serious dialogue between Al Khalifa regime and opposition leaders.
“The only solution is a serious dialogue between the royal family and the opposition [al-Wefaq movement],” said Rajab, who heads the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights.
Rajab who was released on Saturday after serving a two-year jail term, said Bahrain’s situation today is worse compared to when he went to prison because of an upsurge in violence.
He also said he still supports peaceful demonstrations, but is against violence.
Rajab was detained for his role in pro-democracy protests which erupted in Bahrain in 2011.
He has led numerous demonstrations, and is a strong critic of the Al Khalifa regime for its crackdown.
The activist is also critical of the US role in crushing Bahrain’s protests.
Amnesty International as well as Human Rights Watch (HRW) had repeatedly urged the Bahraini regime to free Rajab and other activists.
Last year, the activist appealed to be released after serving three quarters of his jail sentence, but his request was rejected by the court.
Over the past years, Bahrain’s human rights record has come under scrutiny over its handling of the anti-regime demonstrations across the country.
Since mid-February 2011, thousands of anti-regime protesters have held numerous demonstrations in the streets of Bahrain, calling for the ruling Al Khalifa family to relinquish power.
Scores of people have been killed and hundreds of others injured and arrested in the Manama regime’s ongoing crackdown on peaceful demonstrations.
- Will the Bahrain-Saudi Marriage Survive Persian Objections?
- Bahraini brawl: Parliament session breaks-down in screaming match
- Bahrain's refugee crisis? Behind the scenes with Bahraini activist asylum-seekers
- Extended detention for Bahraini opposition chief Sheikh Salman
- The Bahraini Opposition: Two Years of Protests and Holding