Barak meets Abbas in Amman
Israel's Defense Minister Ehud Barak on Sunday met in Amman with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. Earlier, it was reported that Barak flew to Jordan at the end of a weekly cabinet meeting where he met with Jordan's King Abdullah II and then returned home to brief Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu about the results of this meeting and went again in the evening to the Jordanian capital, accompanied by several of his advisers to meet with Abbas and two of his aides.
An Israeli security source said Barak maintains close ties with Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad and met him recently in the King David Hotel in Jerusalem in preparation for the launch of direct negotiations between the Israeli and Palestinian sides.
- Jordanian Foreign Minister to Meet Arafat ahead of Camp David Summit
- Jordan's King Abdullah and former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak meet
- Netanyahu: Palestinians must recognize Israel as Jewish homeland
- Barak Adviser to Travel to Jordan Sunday
- Report: Netanyahu and Abbas met secretly in Jordan before ceasefire