Ben Ali is a wanted man in Tunisia
Tunisia on Wednesday issued an international arrest warrant for toppled President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, the country's justice minister conveyed. Lazhar Karoui Chebbi stated charges against Ben Ali include taking money out of the country illegally.
According to him, over 11,000 prisoners escaped from Tunisian prisons - a third of all inmates in the country - during the unrest. Some 1,500 of those have returned behind bars.
Ben Ali fled the country on January 14 under the pressure of an unprecedented popular uprising. He left with his wife Leila Trabelsi. They are now reside in Saudi Arabia.
- Italian Media Group Mediaset Spearheads Investment into Regional Media Leader Karoui & Karoui, alongside with Delta Partners
- Ben Ali slams all charges against him
- Tunisia's torture troubles
- I'm no Ben Ali! Tunisia Ennahda chief denies the likeness
- The Arab Spring ain't over, or at least demands: voting Tunisians place jobs at the top of their priority list