Calls for anti-government rallies in Syria
There are growing signs that anti-government protests are expected to extend to Syria. Anti-government activists have begun circulating messages on the internet demanding freedom of speech, human rights and economic reforms. They are asking demonstrators to rally outside parliament house in Damascus.
Syrian security forces have foiled attempts to rally outside the Egyptian embassy and according to Reuters have deployed troops in the northern city of Aleppo ahead of planned protest rallies there.
Syrian president Bashar Assad said Monday there is no chance the riots in Tunisia and Egypt will spread to his country.
- Huge anti-government rally in Beirut as report claims Arab proposal accepted
- Egyptian stocks uneven ahead of anti-government rally
- Central Damascus: Syrians hold rally to demand freedom
- Anti-Government Rallies Sweep Turkey as Government Announces Economic Plan
- Growing demand for faster internet in Tunisia