Chief Palestinian negotiator calls to recognize Palestinian state
The chief Palestinian Authority negotiator on Tuesday called for immediate international recognition of a Palestinian state to counter Israel's illegal plans for construction of new settlements. "Israeli unilateralism is a call for immediate international recognition of the Palestinian state," Saeb Erekat said in a statement on Tuesday.
He made the comments after Israel approved construction of more than 1,300 new housing units in the occupied East Jerusalem and Ariel.
Earlier, EU Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton warned on Tuesday that the new units "constitute an obstacle to peace and threaten to make a two-state solution impossible."
- Palestine will never recognize Israel as Jewish state, Mahmoud Abbas says
- Arabs to introduce plan calling for international recognition of Palestinian state
- EU foreign policy chief: recognizing Palestine is not enough
- Arab League rejects Israel as a Jewish state
- EU policy chief pledges support for Middle East peace, Palestinian state