Chief Palestinian negotiator calls to recognize Palestinian state
The chief Palestinian Authority negotiator on Tuesday called for immediate international recognition of a Palestinian state to counter Israel's illegal plans for construction of new settlements. "Israeli unilateralism is a call for immediate international recognition of the Palestinian state," Saeb Erekat said in a statement on Tuesday.
He made the comments after Israel approved construction of more than 1,300 new housing units in the occupied East Jerusalem and Ariel.
Earlier, EU Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton warned on Tuesday that the new units "constitute an obstacle to peace and threaten to make a two-state solution impossible."
- Chief Palestinian negotiator: we need decisions by April 29th
- PLO official condemns illegal Israeli settlements
- Top Palestinian negotiator throws weight behind Kerry peace plan
- Israel plans over 1,000 new settler units in West Bank
- Palestinians: Peace talks to resume just if Israel accepts two-state solution