Damascus: At least 14 Palestinians shot dead in refugee camp
At least 14 Palestinians were killed and scores wounded by shootings from the headquarters of the PFLP General Command in the Yarmouk refugee camp near the Syrian capital Damascus. This came during the funeral of the Palestinians who were shot dead Sunday by the Israeli army near the border during rallies to mark the 44th anniversary of the Naksa (setback) Day.
Eyewitnesses said the firing in the camp started after some mourners assaulted an official from one of the Palestinian factions accusing him of causing the death of their children. This was developed quickly into a violent confrontation. The crowd chanted slogans against Maher al-Taher, PFLP spokesman and politburo member, and set fire to the PFLP headquarters.
- Deadly shooting in Syria's Yarmouk camp halts UN aid work
- At Least 15 Palestinians Killed on Monday; Sharon Promises More Raids on Refugee Camps
- Son of Islamist faction founder shot dead in Lebanese refugee camp
- Israeli aggression continues: Palestinian teen shot dead in Gaza Strip, five Palestinians arrested in West Bank
- At least 30 killed in airstrike on Syrian refugee camp near Turkish border