Egypt warns Hamas over possible Israeli offensive
Egypt has warned Hamas that Israel might launch a massive Gaza operation to stop rocket firing, a thing that led the rulers of the Strip to urge other factions to cease fire. "Egypt has told Hamas the Gaza situation was similar to that before December 2008," one source familiar with Egypt-Hamas contacts told Reuters on Wednesday.
"Hamas does not want a new escalation unless it is forced into it," the source added. A Palestinian official said Cairo and another Arab country had discussed the situation with Hamas.
On his part, Saleh Zidan, a senior leader of the Palestinian Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP), told Reuters senior Egyptian security officials he met on Tuesday voiced their concerns bout a possible Israeli offensive.
- Nasrallah warns Israel over possible offensive on Lebanon
- Sources: Israel warned Syria over possible Hizbullah attacks
- Hamas warns Israel of launching widescale offensive on Gaza Strip
- Israel continues West Bank offensive; Two senior Hamas activists arrested as Fatah vows to retaliate Barghouti detention
- Tel Aviv undecided about Egypt truce proposal with Hamas