EU: Israel should respect equality of Arab citizens
The European Union is not satisfied with the recent moves and comments of the Israeli government. It urged Tel Aviv on Tuesday to guarantee the equality of all its citizens after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu suggested the Palestinian Authority will recognise Israel's Jewish identity. Asked to comment on the recent Israeli offer, a spokeswoman for EU diplomatic chief Catherine Ashton said: "We support the two democratic states living side by side in peace and security.
"We also stress that the future states of Palestine and Israel will need to fully guarantee equality to all their citizens," she added.
"Basically in the case of Israel this means whether they are Jewish or not," said spokeswoman Maja Kocijancik.
- Saudi writer: Israel deserves respect
- EU Document Links Palestinian State to Arab Guarantees of Israel's Security
- AAI: US should Warn Arab Americans on Israel Travel
- Should Israel worry? The BDS movement gains momentum
- Palestinians Urge US to Push Israel to Respect Truce, Sharon Gov't Fortifies Illegal Settlement