Gaza Strip: Two Palestinians shot dead
Two suspected Palestinian fighters died and an Israeli soldier was wounded in an exchange of gunfire near the border of the Gaza Strip with Israel, the Israeli army announced. Troops spotted the two Palestinians near the security barrier separating Israel from Gaza and opened fire late Saturday, killing them after a gun battle lasting some 20 minutes, an army spokesman said.
"During searches at the scene, shots were fired at the force, apparently resulting in the injury of one of the soldiers," an army statement said, according to AFP.
The injured soldier was evacuated by helicopter.
Earlier Saturday, a rocket fired from the Gaza Strip hit southern Israel without causing casualties or damage, an Israeli military spokesman said.
- Collaborator arrested in Gaza; Israeli soldier shot dead in Gaza Strip; Two Palestinians killed in Tulkarem, Khan Yunis
- Two Israeli security guards killed in shooting attack as two Palestinians shot dead in Gaza Strip, Jenin
- Two Palestinians shot dead in Gaza Strip as Arafat says ''time is running out for the two-state solution''
- Israeli helicopters attack in south Lebanon, two people killed; Two Palestinian fighters shot dead in Gaza Strip
- Gaza Strip: Two Palestinians shot dead by Israeli fire