Hamas slams PA over West Bank arrests
Palestinian security forces detained more than 200 Hamas members in an overnight sweep throughout the West Bank after the group claimed responsibility for shooting dead four Israeli settlers.
A Palestinian security official on Wednesday confirmed a crackdown was under way. He said the assailants from the shooting had not been found.
According to AP, Hamas lawmaker Omar Abdel-Raziq said more than 150 members had been detained, and others had been summoned to police stations for questioning. He accused Abbas of trying to please the Israelis. "These are political arrests," he said. "They are trying to tell the Israelis that they are capable of doing the job after the attack."
- Israel goes on spree of Hamas arrests in the West Bank
- Palstinian killed in West Bank as Hamas arrests Fatah men in Gaza Strip
- Three Palestinians arrested in West Bank one day after 200 olive trees cut down by settlers
- West Bank: Six killed in Hamas-Fatah clash
- Settler killed in West Bank shooting attack; Hamas claims Friday Hebron attack