High alert in Egypt following Bin Laden killing
Egypt on Monday announced a security alert around the American and British embassies and all their interests in the country after the American declaration about the death of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.
"Al Ahram" quoted security source as saying that the tightened security around the embassies is a precautionary measure taken by the security agencies in all British and American installations in all Egyptian governorates following the announcement of of bin Laden's death.
Meanwhile, the Egyptian authorities decided to place all the archeological sites and all roads leading to the Luxor and the rest of the tourist sites under tight security measures within a plan aimed at providing greater protection for archaeological and tourist facilities. In the past, these sites were the target of armed attacks by Islamists.
A state of alert among the officers, soldiers and police personnel was declared in and around Luxor airport.
The sources said that the security measures taken following the death of bin Laden are "routine procedures" which are taken periodically at such events.
- US on Alert After Bin Laden Case Convictions
- Egyptians Angry at Turning Archaeological Sites into Discotheques
- US Forces on Alert in Face of Bin Laden Threats
- Christians in Egypt on high alert following threats from jihadists
- Report: Bin Laden orders followers to launch global attacks on '\'American and Jewish interests'\'