Iraq: 25 soldiers killed and wounded in bombing attack
A suicide bomber rammed a truck packed with explosives into an army barracks in Iraq's Diyala province Monday, triggering a massive explosion that killed 11 soldiers, officials told AFP. At least 14 soldiers were hurt in the blast, which occurred around 6:00 am at an army base at Kanaan, some 70 kilometres northeast of Baghdad, a security official said.
Eyewitnesses said that the building was totally destroyed and that victims were pulled out from under the rubble.
Authorities also defused a car bomb and two improvised explosives near the blast site. Two troops conveyed the attacker had struck during a shift change, when only one guard was at the entry gate.
In other attacks Monday, at least one person was killed and 10 injured when four improvised bombs went off in Baghdad, an interior ministry official said.
- Baghdad car bombing attack kills three as US soldiers wounded by mortar
- Iraq police attack resistance fighters south of Baghdad; Bombs kill 10, including British soldier
- Nine Iraqis, three US soldiers killed in Iraq bombings, shooting attack
- Bomb attacks over 2 days kill 36 in Baghdad
- Iraq: Bomb blast kills 14, injures 21 in Diyala