Islamists try to kill Mubarak 12 times
The Egyptian Islamist movement El Gamaa El Islamiya made 12 assassination attempts on ousted leader Hosni Mubarak, group member Ali El Sherif was quoted as saying by the Kuwaiti Rai newspaper on Sunday. In an interview with the publication, El Sherif, who coordinates the group’s branch in Yemen, conveyed that they planned to kill Mubarak in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia.
According to El Sherif, El Gamaa El Islamiya had many reasons to kill the ousted president, but the most important was that the his regime used to arrest the wives of the group's members and torture them as a way of pressuring imprisoned group members.
El Sherif added the group, which was responsible for the assassination of President Anwar El Sadat, had decided to denounce violence after the Addis Ababa attempt in 1995, because of a change in tactics.
- 8-year-old Yemeni child dies at hands of 40-year-old husband on wedding night
- Mubarak may be released from house arrest as early as next week
- Egypt to Try 94 Islamists Sunday
- Cairo acquits policemen for torturing and starving Islamist inmates
- Constitutional poll: Egyptians vote on roadmap for the future