Jordan launches Tafileh Development Fund
King Abdullah of Jordan recently announced the creation of the Tafileh Development Fund, valued at JD15 million (US$21 million).
The Fund will be affiliated with the King Abdullah II Fund for Development and will be used to create jobs for residents, and develop projects in the fields of public services, education, health and housing in the southern Jordanian Governorate of Tafileh.
The King has also ordered the study of the health conditions in the area to improve the medical services provided to the residents of the town and the surrounding villages.
Protests in Jordan have been rare and relatively peaceful. Jordan allows public assembly and peaceful demonstrations. Further, King Abdullah has agreed to allow elections of Cabinet members in the future, replacing a system in which the King appointed ministers, including the Prime Minister.
It is unclear when the changes will be implemented due to concerns that sudden change could lead to chaos and unrest in Jordan. However, King Abdullah says the changes, when they occur, will be implemented according to the recommendations of a national dialogue committee which recently proposed laws governing elections and political parties. The committee is also reviewing legislation to reduce corruption and bureaucracy in the Jordanian government.
- Tourism is the real target of the Tunisia attacks: industry set to suffer
- FIFA scandal probe: No deaths in 2022 World Cup construction, Qatar says
- The UAE harnesses the power of celebrity endorsements
- Gazans reach beyond Israeli blockade through start-up
- France is playing a risky dating game in the Gulf: experts
- Saudi Arabia to examine Jordan’s request for $53M loan
- King Abdullah announces unprecedented development vision for Jordan's governorates
- PepsiCo International in Partnership with the Jordanian Hashemite Fund for Human Development (JOHUD)’Goodwill Campaign Launches Tomooh for the 3rd Co
- ADC Launches Agricultural Unit for Al Deesa Families at the Jordanian Hashemite Fund for Human Development