At least 16 killed in Basra blasts
At least 16 people died and more than 100 were injured as at least two blasts hit a market in the southern Iraqi city of Basra. Initial reports said that a car bomb, followed by a secondary blast, rocked the popular al-Ashaar marketplace in Basra city.
But police officials insisted the the explosions were caused by a power generator exploding.
Hospital officials said that 110 people were injured in the explosion.
- At least 16 die in Iraq blasts
- Blasts in Basra area kill at least 68 people; over 200 injured including four UK soldiers
- Baghdad blast kills at least five as South Korean shot dead near Basra
- Interim governor of Basra, two bodyguards shot dead; At least four killed in blast
- Iraq: At least 20 die in Basra blast