At least 17 dead in Homs as Assad acknowledges "some mistakes"
Syrian security forces have killed 17 people in Homs, activists said. According to them, the army shot dead 17 people in the city, injuring another 20.
Rights activist Rami Abdel Rahman of the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights told AFP troops were conducting a massive operation in the northwestern town of Sermin, where a woman was killed.
Blasts and heavy gunfire also echoed in the eastern city of Deir Ezzor and locals were fearing a new military attack in the city where the army killed 42 people on Sunday and 17 on Tuesday, conveyed Abdel Rahman.
Meanwhile, President Bashar Assad was said to have admitted his security forces had made "some mistakes" in battling protests, as he met with several UN Security Council members in Damascus. The deputy foreign ministers from Brazil, India and South Africa met Assad and Foreign Minister Walid Muallem to call for an "immediate end to all violence" in Syria, a statement said.
Assad "acknowledged that some mistakes had been made by the security forces in the initial stages of the unrest and that efforts were underway to prevent their recurrence," said the statement issued by India's UN mission.