Morocco denies reports on 11 dead in Western Sahara clashes
Western Sahara's independence movement conveyed on Tuesday 11 people died in clashes with Moroccan security forces, but a Moroccan source confirmed there was only one civilian death, caused by a car accident. A statement released on Tuesday by the Polisario independence movement in Algeria, said 11 people had been killed in Monday's clashes, 723 were injured and 159 others had disappeared and were feared dead. This toll is expected to rise considering the "barbaric" aggression committed by the Moroccan armed forces, the statement added.
"The Moroccan forces of aggression used live bullets, tear gas canisters, truncheons, stones and water cannon against peaceful, defenceless civilians," the statement said, according to Reuters.
A senior Moroccan official in Western Sahara's main city of Laayoune conveyed that Moroccan security forces had not killed any civilians. He added four civilians had been injured, and that nobody had disappeared.
- Clashes in Morocco following the dismantling of refugee camp in Western Sahara
- Polisario to free Moroccan prisoners
- Thousands Demonstrate in Spain for Western Sahara Referendum
- One Dead, 13 Missing after Immigrant Boat Sinks off Western Sahara
- Leader of Algerian outlawed party says Sahara issue '\'artificial'\'