155 Muslim Brotherhood supporters sentenced to jail
Over 100 Muslim Brotherhood supporters were sentenced to jail on Wednesday, Reuters reports. Of the 155 sentenced, 54 were given life sentences in a case related to violence in the Nile Delta province of Mansour last year.
Others were sentenced to prison for 3-10 years. According to Reuters, those sentenced were charged with instigating violence and chaos and for being members of a banned group.
Police fired tear gas at demonstrators who were gathered outside the courthouse.
The Egyptian government has cracked down on members of the Muslim Brotherhood since Mohammad Morsi was overthrown. The government has labeled the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organization and sentenced hundreds of individuals to death.
- Egypt court jails 63 Muslim Brotherhood supporters
- Egypt court sentences 683 more Muslim Brotherhood members to death
- Egyptian court convicts dozens of dissidents
- Egyptian court cancels death sentences of prominent Muslim Brotherhood leaders
- Egypt court sentences top Muslim Brotherhood leaders to death, Badie included