Netanyahu: Palestinians must recognize Israel as a Jewish state
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday reiterated his demand for the PA to recognize Israel as a Jewish state. "Just as we are asked to recognize the Palestinian national state... we also demand and expect the Palestinians to recognize a Jewish state," Netanyahu said at the start of a weekly cabinet meeting.
"This is the true foundation of peace," he added, according to AFP.
The two sides remain divided on the core issues of the conflict. Israeli dailies reported on Sunday that for the upcoming round of talks Netanyahu wants to first discuss security arrangements and the issue of recognition before addressing final borders.
- Netanyahu drops demand to recognize Israel as Jewish state
- Israel, PA start to discuss ”core issues”
- Netanyahu urges Palestinians to recognize Israel as "Jewish state"
- Netanyahu: Palestinians must recognize Israel as Jewish homeland
- Gaza house bombed as Netanyahu expects Palestinians recognize Israel as ”Jewish state”