Palestinian factions oppose resumption of direct talks with Israel
Hamas and 10 Damascus-based Palestinian faction on Sunday announced they oppose the resumption of direct negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian Authority. The Islamic Jihad, the Popular Front – General Command and the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine were among the groups represented in the statement. "The Palestinian refusal movements confirm their objection to direct or indirect talks and warn against the dangerous consequences of a policy which undermines national Palestinian rights. Return to direct negotiations is capitulation to the demands of the US and the Zionists, who seek to abolish these rights," the joint statement read, according to AFP.
The factios slmmed US policy, which they claimed seeks to "mask Israel's plan to expand the settlements, Judaise the land, gain control of Jerusalem and maintain the Gaza Strip blockade."
- Hamas slams PA for preventing meeting opposing talks with Israel
- Obama to host Israeli-Palestinian summit to mark resumption of direct talks
- PA minister: factions insist on punishing Sharon, Hamas denies resumption of ceasefire talks
- Poll: Palestinians back resumption of peace talks
- Obama opposes talks with Hamas