Palestinians slam Israeli soldier images with detainees
Palestinians on Tuesday were furious after a former Israeli soldier loaded her images with Palestinian prisoners on her Facebook page, writing "The army is the best period in my life." The former soldier Eden Abarjel is seen smiling alongside the Palestinian detainees, who are blindfolded and handcuffed.
Israeli and Palestinian authorities slammed the ex-Israeli soldier who ended her military service about one year ago.
An Israeli army spokesman said Abarjel could still be held account for her deeds. The spokesman, however, declined to say what is the procedure that may be taken against Abarjel. A police spokesman said he was not aware of any civil complaint made regarding this topic.
The army spokesman said "this is a disgraceful behavior." On his part, the Director of the Israeli Committee against Torture Yishai Mnouhin pointed out that the behavior of female soldier is the product of popular culture in the Israeli army.
A statement by the Media Centre of the Palestinian government, said the photos were offensive and called for an end to these practices. The statement said that this shows the mentality of the occupier, who is proud of insulting the Palestinians, adding that this behavior must come to an end and to respect the rights and dignity of Palestine.
- Gaza Strip: Israeli soldier, four Palestinians killed in blasts, clash
- New images of Israeli troops humiliating Palestinians
- Three Palestinians, Israeli soldier killed in Gaza Strip, West Bank
- 23 Palestinians detained by Israel since Tuesday as spate of clashes leaves several injured, two dead
- Captors: Israeli soldier case ”closed”; Two Palestinians dead