Peres: Hamas foils swap deal
Israeli President Shimon Peres said on Thursday that the nature of the Hamas leadership and the different views among its leaders created difficulties in reaching a deal to free Gilad Shalit, the captured Israeli soldier in the Gaza Strip. Speaking to reporters on the occasion of his three years in office, Peres said that the leadership of Hamas is trying in every round of negotiations to reap greater gains.
According to press reports, Israel agreed to free 1000 Palestinian detainees in return of Shalit following Germany's mediation. Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu has recently said he won't agree to free more than 1000 Palestinians in a future swap deal.
- After king refuses to meet him, Peres cancals Morocco visit
- Report: Peres, Qorei Met Secretly Sunday
- Peres says PA unity government - ”facade” as two wounded in Gaza Strip
- Mubarak, Prese meet in Egypt, discuss Arab peace plan, prisoner swap with Hamas
- Israel\'s Shimon Peres Makes Surprise Visit to Morocco