Queen Rania recovering in NY hospital
Jordan's Queen Rania has successfully undergone treatment in a New York hospital for an irregular heart beat, a palace statement released in Amman said on Monday. The 40-year-old queen had accompanied her husband King Abdullah II to NY for his address to UN General Assembly and held meetings of her own, including a session of the Clinton Global Initiative.
"The procedure is a catheterisation through a vein to the heart. It is used to treat abnormal heart rhythms, or premature ventricular contractions, which is a common condition," the palace statement said, according to AFP.
"During the procedure, an electric current is used to stop the disturbance of electrical flow through the heart, thus restoring a healthy heart rhythm." A palace spokesman said: "The procedure went very smoothly and her majesty is well and in good spirits. She will remain in hospital for two nights while she recuperates."
The queen is expected to fly home later this week.
- Jordan’s Queen Gives Birth to Baby Girl
- Jordan's Queen Rania expecting fourth child
- Prince Hassan of Jordan undergoes heart operation
- Son born to Jordan royal couple
- Borders(R) Welcomes Queen Rania of Jordan to Columbus Circle Store in New York City for Reading and Book Signing in an Exclusive U.S. Event