Report on clashes in Tehran
Amid almost complete media blackout, unofficial reports claimed that clashes erupted between pro-democracy protesters and security forces in Tehran. Thousands of demonstrators were marching on Monday in the center of the city in support of the revolts in Egypt and Tunisia, according to these reports.
Reports said security forces used teargas pepper spray and batons. The AFP news agency reported that police fired paintball bullets on protesters. Some of the protestors were arrested.
According to Al Jazeera, up to 10,000 security forces had been deployed to prevent protesters from gathering at Azadi Square.
- Tehran: Clashes reported between demonstrators, police
- Security forces, protesters clash in Tehran
- Two killed in fresh Brotherhood-police clashes across Egypt
- Thousands of Morsi supporters clash with Egyptian police
- Tehran: Reports on protests amid contradicting reports about fate of opposition leaders