Russia calls Iraq not to execute Aziz
One day after the issuance of a death sentence on Tareq Aziz, there are calls to avoid his execution. Russia called on Iraq on Wednesday not to carry out the death sentence on Aziz on humanitarian grounds, its foreign ministry said. The Vatican has also appealed against the sentence. Aziz is a Christian.
"From a basic humanitarian point of view, it is obvious that his situation requires mercy," the Russian ministry said in a statement, adding that Aziz suffered from health problems and was of an advanced age.
- Jordan to bury ex-Saddam Hussein aide Tareq Aziz
- Iraq dismisses reports its missile program breached U.N. resolutions; Putin says Russia may use veto right
- Iraq: Tareq Aziz stands for trial
- Iraqi troops move into Sadr city as stiff penalty is sought for Tareq Aziz
- Lawmaker: Russia Will Veto ‘Smart’ Sanctions on Iraq