Shiite groups call to establish republic in Bahrain
Three Bahraini Shi'ite groups said on Tuesday they had joined together with the aim of bringing down the monarchy and establishing a republic. The new movement was formed by groups much smaller than the main opposition group Wefaq.
"This tripartite coalition adopts the choice of bringing down the existing regime in Bahrain and the establishment of a democratic republican system," the three groups said in a joint statement, cited by Reuters. The new Shi'ite opposition bloc includes Al Haq, Wafa and the Freedom Movement and calls itself the "Coalition for a Republic."
The groups held a news conference at the protesters' camp, calling for peaceful change through civil disobedience and civil resistance.
- Bahrain’s Jawad Business Group to establish new warehouse facility with Kuwaiti firm
- Protests called 3 years after Bahrain's Arab Spring uprising
- General Organisation Of Sea Ports Signs Key Logistics Agreement With Federal Republic Of Germany
- The Sunni-Shia divide: what is the future for the Middle East?
- Bahrain: RealLands established