Some 160 killed and wounded in Karbala bombing attacks
A security source and a local official on Monday confirmed the killing of 14 people and the wounding of at least 141 others in two car bomb blasts Monday in the east of Karbala. The blasts targeted Shiite pilgrims who marked the death of Imam Hussein.
The deputy chairman of the provincial council in Karbala, Nassif Jassem, said "the first explosion occurred inside a garage in an area located some 20 kilometers to the east of Karbala.
In the meantime, five people were seriously injured when a bomb exploded in Shula, northwest of Baghdad. Reports said the target of the attack was the provincial governor who survived this assassination attempt. The blast took place in Tikrit, north of Qadisiya area. Four of his bodyguards were injured very seriously. And a member of the army was seriously injured when a bomb exploded near a military patrol, in the center of the city of Mosul in Nineveh province.
- Baghdad: Some 600 killed and wounded in four blasts
- Some 20 people killed in massive car bomb attack in Baghdad as 13 wounded in Karbala
- 34 Wounded, Five Seriously, in Algerian Bomb Blast
- Marine killed, four others wounded as deputy governor of Baghdad assassinated
- Imam of Gudermes Seriously Wounded in Attack