Syrian FM downplays importance of 33 arrest warrants
Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem described as "purely procedural" the arrest warrants his country has issued against 33 people, among them senior Lebanese officials. "It's purely procedural," he said after holding talks with his Romanian counterpart Teodor Baconschi.
Syria has ordered the arrest of 33 people over false testimony given in the UN-backed investigation into the 2005's assassination of Lebanese former prime minister Rafiq Hariri. When asked about the tribunal, Muallem insisted that it is "purely a Lebanese affair."
- Lebanon Interior Minister receives arrest warrants
- France makes arrest in connection to Hariri assassination
- Syria issues arrest warrants for 33 senior officials in Hariri murder
- Lebanon urged to boost efforts for arrest of Hariri killing suspects
- Head of UN investigation into Hariri killing expected to meet Syrian leader