Tunisia effect: Yemen cuts income tax
Yemen has announced cut in income taxes on salaries by up to 50%. Observers believe that the timing of the announcement is aimed at curbing any public anger following the events of Tunisia.
On Sunday, hundreds held a peaceful march from the University of Sana'a to the building of the Tunisian Embassy to express their support for "the Tunisian people's courage and their readiness to sacrifice their lives to achieve their demands."
For its part, the European Commission said Saturday it had raised its assistance to Yemen to 15 million euros (some US$19.5 million) to help the poor country cope with the deteriorating economic conditions.
- Gulfnet collaborates on global cybersecurity platform
- Middle East poised to become an industry leader in 3D printing
- UAE Space Agency, Lockheed Martin ‘blast off’ with professional training program
- Show me the money: Lebanon addresses bank transfer delay problems
- Kuwait to receive French helicopters in $1.1B deal