Yemeni army kills 3 al Qaeda militants
Sources say the militants had recently returned from fighting in Syria. (AFP/File)
Yemeni troops killed three jihadist fighters Sunday during a ground assault, AFP reports.
“Yemen’s anti-terrorism forces carried out a military operation in Arhab killing three al Qaeda militants and arresting four others,” a security official said.
Officials say the militants had previously fought in Syria and returned to Yemen recently to fight alongside al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), according to AFP.
AQAP is considered to be the most deadly branch of al Qaeda by many Western analysts. The United States has increased drone strikes in recent months in an effort to kill al Qaeda militants residing in Yemen.
- BBC Arabic Exclusive Interview with Yemeni Chief of Staff in the Central Security Forces Yahia Abdellah Salah
- Yemeni security forces kill three militants responsible for recent assassinations
- Yemeni forces kill 3 Al Qaeda members
- Al Qaeda kills 3 in southern Yemen, abducts four others
- Al Qaeda scholar arrested in Jordan for terrorism offenses