Yemen: Death sentence to Al-Qaeda bombmaking expert
According to AFP, Shawsh confessed to involvement in seven cases of bombing attacks claimed by Al-Qaeda on oil and military facilities in Hadramawt and Marib provinces. "The actions attributed to me are correct," he told an October 9 hearing. "I prepared and carried out these operations voluntarily and without duress."
He has lodged no appeal against the verdict.
Shawsh was caught earlier this year as he prepared to launch a suicide bombing in the Hadramawt port city of Mukalla.
- Yemen pledges to "uproot terror" of Al Qaeda threat in military offensive
- All eyes on al-Qaeda master of explosives, AKA 'evil genius', who turned his own brother into a bomb
- Yemen: 20 soldiers killed following death of al Qaeda leader
- Report: Al Qaeda systematically assassinating Yemen's intelligence officers
- Yemen: Rebels sentenced to death